Notre Dame Academy Redesign

Notre Dame Academy Redesign

Customized Design and Theme Build

This project was initiated through the school in the summer of 2019, following a successful performance improvement deployment and hosting migration. The project included building a new child theme for the Enfold product from Themeforest. I did not have any experience with the tool prior to creating it. The child theme is available in my repository on Github. Enfold was used by a previous designer. On behalf of the school staff, I decided to continue using this product. Staff at the school approved of the selection.

The Project

Notre Dame is a school with a competitive sports record. They recruit internationally, and needed a website competing on the international stage, is appealing, and easy to navigate. To land the job, I produced a six hour study of the navigation. The goal was to understand the interests of the school while following case studies to solve user inquiry. I requested the help from an associate, Keith Instone, who helped me think how to approach the research and where to start.

 

Design Details

Mobile-friendly site design was prepared in Sketch.

Site Details

Description: Private girls school in the Toledo, Ohio region

Platform: WordPress Enfold Theme, child theme created with Webpack build system

URL: https://nda.org

 

 

There is much to understand about this school which was not available in the brief I produced from research. I recommended inquiring from school parents and students to learn things they expect to find on the website. I did not get the assistance from the school staff, however they did provide clear understanding from their years of interviewing students and parents. They were experts and sometimes it was hard to get at real information without user research.

Navigation redesign was a central piece of my offering. I turned to a content menu plugin to enable a dropdown menu with columns which included an image and brief written description or quote. A Quick links jump menu was also built to give regular visitors directed landing pages to visit. Since much of the staff were occupied with other work, I did the best I could to recycle content from the previous build.